Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Is there such a thing as reading too much?
The other day I caught myself lecturing my 1st grader for reading too much! I actually had to step back and say WHAT?! What am I saying? I am telling my child that he can't read! LOL! I never thought I would be having that conversation with any child, especially at 7. Let me explain! Austin reads almost a chapter book every 1-3 days for homework. (He reads extremely well!) We also read a harder chapter book (A Wrinkle in Time) and the scriptures every night with the whole family. He is also reading the scriptures on his own. YES! My son is reading the scriptures of his own accord! We also have to MAKE him go to bed at night because we will catch him reading late at night. He will read on the floor by his door so that he can read by the light of the bathroom. So the conversation was about some children's chapter books that I had on a book shelf waiting for my kids to be old enough to read. Austin wanted to start reading them but I told him that he is actually reading enough right now and we are going to save those for the summer when he doesn't have a school take-home book. So the discussion pursued in that manner until I realized that I was actually telling my son that he couldn't read MORE books! Wow...what a lucky mom I am! I have a child that I have to actually tell NOT to read!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I wish I had your problem! I can't get my kid to read anything!!!!
ditto!! Count your many blessings! It is like a world war at our house EVERYDAY just to get our kids to read their assigned school homework!! I can't even IMAGINE having a child that read TOO much!
Post a Comment