Thursday, February 16, 2012

Brag Session...or not...

I made croissants. They made me happy. Food usually makes me happy. But these made me even more so. So, I am going to brag.

Bragging is very subjective. Some of you won't consider this bragging because you have no desire to ever do it yourself. In that case, I am not bragging I am simply showcasing my workmanship.

If this is something that you have desired to do, then I am posting this to simply let you know that it is not only attainable but absolutely worth doing.

These were absolutely the best croissants I have ever had. And I am not picky when it comes to croissants. I have pretty much loved all the different types of croissants that I have ever had. The canned ones that you pop open and pop in the oven. The ones you buy pre-made from the nearest local supermarket or bakery. The one I got from Panera Bread that was, up until now, probably my favorite. Yep! Loved 'em all!

But these....these topped them all. I don't know if I can even go back to eating other croissants. OK, I probably will just due to shear time constraints but I will never look at another one the same again. *sigh*

If you like to bake...or if you just want to learn something new then I highly suggest making these. They will be worth it. This is not a food blog (although secretly I wish it were...another sigh) so I don't have all the fancy pictures or instructions but I will link you to some. Don't let the fact that the recipe is 4 pages long and takes two whole days to make discourage you! ;)
I promise that if I can do it, so can you. And it will be worth it!

Here is the link to the recipe from Willow Bird Baking.
Here is the link to the photo tutorial.
Here is a link to the Apple, Brie and Pecan sandwich I made with them; although I highly recommend this chicken salad on them instead.

Here a few amateur pictures just to prove I did actually do this. :)

This is a picture of what it should look like after all the rolling and folding right before you roll it out one last time to shape and proof it. I promise that it isn't that hard, just time consuming. And look at those beautiful layers!
Here is the picture of the Pains Au Chocolat. It is basically chocolate rolled up in the croissant. I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar.
Mmmm! Even better than Panera Breads!
This croissant is a little funny looking but that is because, like always, I forgot to take a picture of the best ones before we ate them! :)
Here is a picture of the Apple, Pecan, Brie Panini. It looks beautiful but I only liked it so-so.

I hope my bragging motivates you a little to go out and try making some of the very best croissants you will ever eat in your life!

No comments: