My amazing, talented, heck-a smart, helpful, hard-working son -- he is 10! I can't believe it! I have a 10 year old! As sad as it makes me that my kids are getting older much faster than I want, I love the stage that Austin is at. He is old enough to basically take care of himself (although he would probably never shower or brush his teeth if I didn't make him). He is helpful with his younger siblings. He can help his dad in the yard or around the house. He whines a little (OK, sometimes a lot) but I think he is one of the most hard-working kids I know. He is super smart...smarter than me. The little stinker knows it too! He is usually right (just like his dad). At least I am smarter than Abigail and Asher (for now). :)
Austin has already read all 4 Children's Scripture readers. He loves to read so we said that we would give him $50 if he read the Book of Mormon all the way through by the end of the year. I know! I know! Maybe bribing your kid to have a testimony isn't the best way to go about it but hopefully it works! HeHe. He was hesitant at first because he said that he wouldn't understand it and that it would be boring. We told him once he got into it a little then we would help him to understand it better and that there were battles and bloodshed so it gets a little more interesting too. Once he started he would ask us questions that showed how much he really understood. He was asking things that even I didn't know. I had to send him to his dad. They sparked great discussions. Even though bribing probably isn't the best way to do it, Austin will have read the Book of Mormon before he is 11! Chris finished it in the MTC. I read it completely with Chris when I was 18. He is already talking about being excited to start the Doctrine and Covenants and the Old and New Testaments. I hope he can stick with it (without getting paid for it)!
One of Austin's greatest traits is his commitment to what he is doing or interested in. He rotates between Star Wars, Harry Potter, Ninja Turtles and currently we are back to Transformers. Everything he does revolves around this subject! We have to tell him to STOP talking about it because he gets so obsessed with every aspect of it. But you can definitely say he is committed! :) I love this kid! I am so grateful that he is part of our family.

1 comment:
I can't believe he is 10, that just doesn't seem possible! How nice to have such a helpful, smart son!
Post a Comment