Monday, April 5, 2010

Zion Camping

I have to admit, before I had kids, camping was the last thing that I wanted to do. I don't like to get dirty! I REALLY DETEST bugs! I like sleeping in my own bed! I like having running water! Really, the list could go on. But the last few years, I have really come to appreciate what camping has to offer. No hotel room can offer the sights, sounds and smells that being in the great outdoors can. You can't dutch-oven in a hotel room. And have you ever had microwaved smores - I have, and they are disgusting. Plus, my kids love being able to run outside, get dirty, go exploring, hiking, fishing, etc., and that alone is worth it.


We went camping at Zion's National Park this weekend. Our family had so much fun. It was beautiful even though the trees haven't bloomed yet. We went on two hikes, ate yummy food and held an Easter Egg hunt for the kiddos.


Cascading Falls was a new hike that we found online. It isn't a marked hike, so that was a little scary especially when we were taking 11 kids under the age of 10 on it. But it turned out to be a great hike, especially because no one else was on it. There was a tunnel, amazing rocks to climb and pools of water to play in.

That night, we came back to camp and ate awesome dutch oven food. Dutch oven cooking is probably my favorite food. I look forward to summer just so we can use our dutch ovens more. Mmmm-mmm!




On Saturday morning, we hid some Easter eggs for the kids to find.



After the Easter egg hunt, we took the kids on our annual Emerald Pools hike. We hike this every year because it is easy enough for the kids but challenging enough that the adults don't get bored. Plus it is beautiful. I was so proud of Abigail because she hiked it mostly by herself. She had some help from Mom and Aunt Anne but she really did well.


After we got back from camping, we went to Newcastle to spend Easter with my family. The kids enjoyed their THIRD Easter egg hunt! Spoiled brats! J/K :)



2 comments:

Accalia said...

Busy weekend! I bet Zion was beautiful this time of year!

Veronica Tyler said...

My kids had three hunts as well... but isn't it so much fun to see how much they enjoy it?

I love Zion's - but as I said last year I think you are so brave to hike with little ones!

I think I've hiked Cascade Falls before - but I thought it was closer to Navajo Lake - it's probably been 12 years ago, did they still have the warning sign about passing out without warning going into the cave?