Friday, April 3, 2009

I love this Age!

I love this age of my children. They are getting old enough to reason with but are still full of imagination and laughter. Every year I want to do something for April Fools Day but something always comes up and I never do. This year, I was determined to do it. I have seen "April Fools Food" before and thought that would be perfect since my kids are you used to me making different things all the time. It would definitely be believable! HEHE!
So I decided to make "Chicken Nuggets" and "peas" with "BBQ sauce" and "Ranch" to dip in. I made "cupcakes" for dessert.
Chicken Nuggets = wafer cookie with peanut butter dipped in crushed corn flakes
Peas = Green Laffy Taffy rolled into balls
BBQ Sauce = Seedless Raspberry Jam
Ranch = White leftover frosting I had in my fridge with some green sprinkles in it.
Cupcake = Meatloaf with dyed blue potatoes on top

I told the kids they could have as many cupcakes as they wanted. :) Allie started eating the cupcake and being the sweet and positive girl she was, said (with a weird expression on her face) "mmm, this is good." Austin wasn't afraid to tell me it was the most disgusting cupcake he had ever had. He really thought it was a cupcake. They still didn't get that it was an April Fools joke until they started eating the "chicken nuggets" dipped in Ranch. Then Chris and I said...APRIL FOOLS! Austin loved it. Allison didn't quite get it but saw that Austin was laughing so laughed with him. It was a fun night!

5 comments:

Veronica Tyler said...

That is a good idea! I will have to wait for a few more years - the only thing I did was switch the scale from pounds to grams (I think) so when Mike got on in the morning I heard him get off and back on 4 times before he figured it out...

Anonymous said...

You are such a fun mom! What a clever idea. I bet the kids LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious! How many cupcakes did they end up eating?

Steph said...

that is great! You are SO creative! I can never think of anything fun to do! That would have been really fun to do with my kids. I'll have to try and remember next year to ask you for some good ideas!! LOVE IT!

The Shock's said...

You are so fun and creative! This is the cutest thing I have ever seen!