So, this parenting thing is really starting to test me. Before your kids go to school, there are few people who really influence them...maybe you, your spouse and a couple of other relatives. Once your kids start school they are bombarded with all different kinds of belief systems, peer pressures, thoughts, ideas, etc. I actually believe, for the most part, that this is a good thing. I think we have to allow our children to "practice" making the choices that we see as productive and beneficial to their lives. This morning, I gave my son a chance to "practice" making a choice hoping he wouldn't feel good about it OR that it would pass quickly. I let Austin choose to wear a
mohawk to school! So what is the big deal about a
mohawk? I dunno...maybe I am just old but in my day that represented a form of rebellion. Does it any more? I am not sure but I figured either way it is just a hair-do. What is the worst the can happen right?

Well, I will tell you the worst that can happen....I picked him up from school and the following conversation pursued:
Mom: So how was school?
Austin: Good (his usual response)
Mom: So did anything fun happen? (my usual pursuance)
Austin: my friend Rian (a GIRL friend) came up and kissed me on the cheek! (a big smile across his face)
Mom: She did?
Austin: yep
Mom: Did you tell her there was no kissing in elementary school?
Austin: no...I liked it!
PAUSE.....
Austin: she liked my Mohawk!
UUgh...I knew it! Why couldn't I just be a dictator and tell him there was no way he was wearing a mohawk to school! Luckily this morning, we "didn't have time" to do his hair because I kept putting it off because I was trying to figure out how to deal with this issue. He didn't seem to have a problem with that so he went to school with messy hair and I think I might "not have time" to do his hair every morning!
5 comments:
That is so funny... I wouldn't stress it though! It seems like now it is what the preppy and 'cool' kids do, not like when we were in school. If you had made a big deal out of it it would have become a point of rebellion and contention. Watch out though, looks like you have a heart-breaker on your hands!
What a cute little mowhawk (sp?) man. I love the look of your blog very warm and just altogether great. Your house is georgeous too. Nice catching up on your family's business.
Too funny!! School is SUCH a hard thing to deal with! I can almost see why people home school. I agree with you though that they need that real life experience to know how to cope and make choices and see different situations. But it sure is scary all the things they see and hear and all the new questions they have for you. Samantha asked me today how old I was when I got my first boyfriend. I asked her why? do you want a boyfriend and she said no. But she is always telling me about her girl friends and their boyfriends so I know it is an issue ALREADY!! She is barely 8! GOODNESS! I hope we all survive!
A very good friend of mine told me to pick my battle's carfully and as long as they can still be presentable at church on Sunday not to make a hair style into a big deal. You made the right choice!
My son has a Mowhawk too.. Its about 6 inches tall now, but lays down...
I don't know if you remember me. I was blog stalking from Bethanna Shock's page, I'm MistyDawn Sublett, used to be MistyDawn Perkins. I was in ur school and church and we spent a bit of time together too.. Do u remember me?
Post a Comment